- Plant your container and Ball & Burlap (B&B) trees.
- Plant your shrubs and perennials.
- In mid-April, after danger of frost, plant bedding plants, vegetables, herbs, summer flowering and foliage bulbs, and annual seeds.
- Let spring flowering bulb (daffodil, tulip, etc.) foliage remain as long as possible before removing it.
- Add organic Redbud Compost to revitalize your soil nutrients while planting new plants.
- If you haven’t already, fertilize all trees and shrubs with Marcum’s Original Slow Release 18-6-12 fertilizer, or one of our ferti-lome mixes.
- Apply ferti-lome Tree & Shrub Systemic Insecticide Drench to trees and shrubs to keep insects and borers away.
- Roses: Apply ferti-lome Rose & Flower Food with Systemic Insecticide or Marcum’s Rose Food once a month through our growing season.
- Apply ferti-lome Liquid Systemic Fungicide II to prevent mildew and leaf spot diseases for roses, photinias, etc
- Don’t prune spring flowering bushes until all blooming is complete.
- Overseed for fescue lawns. Ask a Marcum expert for details.
- Fertilize warm-season grasses three to five times per season using one of Marcum’s Big Mont’s Nitro-Green 31-0-0 fertilizer, or Marcum’s BR’s Lawn Tonic 28-6-12 fertilizer, or Marcum’s Original Slow Release 18-6-12 fertilizer special blends.
- Begin mowing warm-season lawns. Cutting height for Bermuda and zoysia should be 1-1.5 inches high.
- Spray or apply ferti-lome Weed Out to bermuda, fescue, and zoysia grass when air temps are between 70 and 90 degrees.
- Use ferti-lome Weed Free Zone when temps are still under 85 degrees. Weed Free Zone kills over 80 different hard to kill weeds, even poison ivy! Great to use on Henbit and other broadleaf weeds.
- Treat cedar-apple rust with fungicide as soon as the orange jelly galls are visible on junipers or when pear trees are in bloom.
- Remove any winter-damaged branches of plants what have not begin to grow by late April.
- Clean out water garden and prepare for season. Divide and repot water garden plants.
Quick Tip: For best fertilizer application results, we recommend soil testing. For quick and easy testing without leaving home, try SoilKit (includes sample bag, pre-paid lab process fee, and return stamped envelope for mailing sample to lab) available at Marcum’s Nursery. Results emailed within 24 – 48 hours with recommendations for soil remediation.
Note: Thanks to Oklahoma Co-op Extension Service for providing some of the suggested maintenance guidelines. Recommended products suggested by Marcum’s may be purchased at all store locations. For questions regarding April Maintenance Guidelines, please call Goldsby 405 288-2368, Oklahoma City 405 691-9100, Norman 405 447-3100 or Ardmore 580 223-1846.