After years of working in the industry and building nurseries around Oklahoma’s inclement climate, we suggest the following maintenance guidelines.
- Get ready for mums, pansies, and kale fall plantings.
- Plant your container and evergreen trees.
- Select your deciduous B & B (Ball and Burlap) trees for fall/winter planting.
- Last nitrogen fertilizer application of the year on warm-season grasses should be applied no later than September 15.
- Apply ferti-lome F-STOP for brown patch disease for fescue grass.
- Apply Hi-Yield Grub Free Zone II to keep mole crickets and white grubs away all season long.
- Pre-emerge using Orzalyn (Surflan), ferti-lome For All Seasons II Lawn Food Plus Crabgrass and Weed Preventer containing prodiamine (Barricade) or Hi-Yield Turf and Ornamental Weed & Grass Stopper to keep annual Blue grass from emerging plus other winter weeds. Apply by the second week of September. NOTE: Do NOT treat areas that will be seeded in the fall for fescue lawns.
- Seed bluegrass, fescue, or ryegrass as needed in shady areas in late-September through mid-October.
- See Marcum’s watering guidelines for plants, trees, and shrubs.
- Spring bulbs (tulips, daffadils, hyacinth, etc.) arrive in mid-September.
Note: Thanks to Oklahoma Coop Extension Service for providing some of the suggested maintenance guidelines. Recommended products suggested by Marcum’s may be purchased at both store locations. For questions regarding September maintenance guidelines, please call 288-2368 or 691-9100.