Trunk wrapping materials provide protection by regulating temperatures and bark moisture for thin-barked trees such as ash, birch, linden, and maple.
If misused, however, damage may occur from trunk girdling or constriction, insects, diseases and excessive moisture.
- Normal application of tree trunk wraps is October – March for the first two growing seasons.
- Remove wraps each spring prior to spring growth.
- Wrap loosely from the base of the tree up to the first branch by overlapping for shingle effect.
- Plastic guards should fit loosely and include holes or slits.
- Inspect for damage and insects and spray for borers when necessary.