- Plant your container Ball & Burlap (B & B) trees.
- Remove all dead branches on established trees.
- Remain alert for insect damage and add spider mites to the list. Foliage may become pale and speckled; juniper foliage turns a pale yellowish color. Shake a branch over white paper and watch for tiny specks that crawl.
- Look carefully for bagworms. These are tiny brown bags barely visible to the eye. If found, easier to treat at earlier stages rather than later. Apply Hi-Yield Malathion, Natural Guard by ferti-lome Spinosad.
- Pine needle disease treatments are needed again in mid-June. Apply Copper Fungicide.
- Cultivate and mulch using Gold Diamond Cedar Mulch. This reduces evaporative water loss from the soil surface, growth of weeds and prevents soil compaction.
- Fertilize warm season grasses with Marcum’s Nursery’s exclusive fertilizers made for Oklahoma: Kelly Ray’s (46-0-0), Big Mont’s Nitro Green (31-0-0), BR’s Lawn Tonic (28-6-12) or The Marcum’s Original Slow Release (18-6-12).
- By mid-May, “Dollar Spot” disease may be visible on lawns. Apply ferti-lome Liquid Systemic Fungicide or ferti-lome F-Stop. Be sure to fertilize prior to applying a fungicide.
- Seed warm-season grasses (Bermuda and Zoysia) in mid-May through the end of June to reduce winter kill losses..
- Meet water requirements of turf.
- Post-emergent control of crabgrass and summer annual grasses is best performed on young plants using ferti-lome Weed Out with Q. This product kills crabgrass, dandelion, clover, plus 200 other listed weeds.
- Apply Image Nutsedge Killer, Image All-In-One Lawn Weed Killer or Monterey Nutgrass Killer II Selective Herbicide to eliminate yellow and purple nutsedge.
- See Marcum’s Watering Guidelines for new and established trees.
- For preventative white grub treatments, apply Hi-Yield Grub Free Zone III in late June to mid-July.
Note: Thanks to Oklahoma Coop Extension Service for providing some of the suggested maintenance guidelines.
For questions regarding May maintenance guidelines, please call Goldsby 405 288-2368, Oklahoma City 405 691-9100, Norman 405 447-3100 or Ardmore 580 223-1846.