AUGUST MAINTENANCE GUIDELINES
- Apply one of Marcum’s Nursery exclusive fertilizers made for Oklahoma: Kelly Ray’s Fast Growing (46-0-0), Big Mont’s Nitro Green (31-0-0), BR’s Lawn Tonic (28-6-12), or The Original Slow Release (18-6-12) on Bermuda and Zoysia Grass if water is present for growth
- Apply Hi-Yield Turf & Ornamental Weed & Grass Stopper Containing Dimension, ferti-lome For All Seasons II Lawn Food Plus Crabgrass and Weed Preventer or Weed Impede to prevent poa annua and annual blue grass seed from sprouting as the temperature cools down.
- Apply Hi-Yield Grub Free Zone III beginning in May and reapply in August after June bugs (scarab beetles) have gone underground to prevent grubs and to control mole and vole population.
- Mowing heights for cool-season grasses should be 3″ during hot, dry summer months. Gradually raise the mower height of bermuda grass lawns from 1 1⁄2 to 2 inches.
- Tent caterpillars and bag worms: If caterpillars are still feeding, apply Natural Guard by ferti-lome Caterpillar Spray with BT or Natural Guard by ferti-lome Spinosad, otherwise apply Hi-Yield 55% Malathion Insect Spray.
- The hotter and drier it gets, the larger the spider mite populations become! Spray plant foliage with Natural Guard by ferti-lome Insecticidal Soap Concentrate, Natural Guard by ferti-lome Spinosad or HI-Yield 55% Malathion Spray.
- Aphids on your Crape Myrtle shrubs or trees? If you notice a sticky substance on leaves, apply Hi-Yield 55% Malathion Insect Spray.
- Water young plantings well. See Marcum’s Nursery Watering Guidelines on website or in store for details.
- Expect some leaf fall, this a normal reaction to drought.
- For stressed out trees and shrubs, use Marcum’s Root Stimulator and ferti-lome Fish Emulsion Fertilizer.
- Prune evergreens such as holly and boxwood.
- Apply ferti-lome Broadleaf Weed Control with Gallery for dandelions.
- Apply Sure Green Sandbur & Crabgrass Preventer Plus Lawn Fertilizer for sand burs, crabgrass and poa annua.
Note: Thanks to Oklahoma Coop Extension Service for providing some of the suggested maintenance guidelines.
For questions regarding July maintenance guidelines, please call Goldsby 405 288-2368, Oklahoma City 405 691-9100, Norman 405 447-3100 or Ardmore 580 223-1846.