- Plant your container Ball & Burlap (B & B) trees.
- Plant your shrubs and perennials.
- Use Marcum’s Redbud Compost with root stimulator for best results.
- Mulch with Marcum’s twice ground cedar mulch to aid your plaints in moisture control as summer is quickly approaching. Using this special blend mulch adds a finished look to your landscaping.
- Set out annual bedding plants for summer color.
- Soak new transplants and newly planted tress unless rainfall is abundant. See Marcum’s watering guidelines for details.
- In mid-May, treat for pine needle diseases with copper fungicide.
- Clean needles away from under trees.
- Seed warm-season grasses (Bermuda and Zoysia) in mid-May through the end of June.
- Fertilize cool-season lawns with Marcum’s Original Slow Release Fertilizer (18-6-12) if you did NOT fertilize in March or April.
- Fertilize warm-season lawns with B.R.’s Lawn Tonic (28-6-12) or Big Mont’s Nitro Green (31-0-0).
- By mid-May, “Dollar Spot” disease may be visible on lawns. Apply ferti-lome Liquid Systemic Fungicide or ferti-lome F-Stop. Be sure to fertilize prior to applying a fungicide.
- As nut sedge plants become visible, apply post-emergent treatments (Sedgehammer) once warm-season grasses are completely green.
- Apply the second application of pre-emergent, Hi-Yield Ornamental Weed Preventer with Dimension or orzulyn herbicide mid-May or early June depending upon timing of first application. Check label for details.
- Apply Hi-Yield’s Grub Free Zone II to control mole crickets.
- Apply Thuricide or Hy-Yield Malathion for the following:
- Bagworms on juniper and arborvitae (late May)
- Leaf beetles and larvae on elms and zelkova (late May)
- Webworms on mimosa and honeylocust
- Apply Hi-Yield 38 Plus or Hi-Yield Malathion for lace bugs on sycamore, pyracantha, and azaleas.
Note: Thanks to Oklahoma Coop Extension Service for providing some of the suggested maintenance guidelines.
For questions regarding May maintenance guidelines, please call Goldsby 405 288-2368, Oklahoma City 405 691-9100, Norman 405 447-3100 or Ardmore 580 223-1846.