- Pre-emerge with Hi-Yield Turf & Ornamental Weed and Grass Stopper Containing Dimension, ferti-lome For All Seasons II Lawn Food Plus Crabgrass and Weed Preventer containing Prodiamine, (Barricade), Sure Green Sandbur & Crabgrass Preventer Plus Lawn Fertilizer for Sandburs and Crabgrass (Oryzalin/Surflan) or Weed Impede for Annual Grasses and Most Broadleaf Weeds (Surflan).
- In mid-month, fertilize cool season lawns.
- Seed fescue, or rye grass (when soil temperatures are between 50 and 65 degrees as needed in shady areas through mid-October.
- Over-seeding of warm season lawns with cool-season grasses for winter should be performed when soil temperatures are between 50 and 65 degrees. Warm-season lawns are healthiest if winter over-seeding is not performed.
- Continue mowing cool-season grasses or mow with mulching lawnmower.
- Mow and edge warm season grasses neatly before frost kills the tops.
- October is an excellent time to control broadleaf weeds in well-established warm or cool season lawns with ferti-lome Weed Free Zone. Note: Don’t apply to seedling fescue.
- Apply ferti-lome’s Tree & Shrub Systemic Insect Drench.
- Plant container-grown trees anytime this month. Shade trees and pines are most successfully planted in fall.
- Plant ball & burlap (B & B) trees when they begin to go dormant.
- Plant shrubs to help root establishment prior to winter.
- Choose from our many varieties of spring flowering bulbs and store in a cool or refrigerated place for November and December planting. Dig and store tender, summer flowering bulbs and tubers in a cool, dry place.
- Plant pansies, kale and cabbage. Don’t forget to use blood meal or Marcum’s Pansy Max for best pansy blooms.
- Clean up marginal water garden plants after first frost kills the tops.
- Place a net over the water garden to prevent leaves from falling in the water.
- Remove diseased plants from landscape to reduce disease problems next year.
- Illuminate and enhance your home’s landscaping with commercial outdoor lighting. Select and customize your Christmas and event lighting with our commercial LED lights. Consult one of our lighting experts for more details. Great selection available.
Note: Thanks to Oklahoma Coop Extension Service for providing some of the suggested maintenance guidelines.
For questions regarding October maintenance guidelines, please call Goldsby 405 288-2368, Oklahoma City 405 691-9100, Norman 405 447-3100 or Ardmore 580 223-1846.