- Plant your container Ball & Burlap (B & B) trees.
- Plant your shrubs and perennials.
- In mid-April, after danger of frost, plant bedding plants, vegetables, herbs, summer flowering bulbs, and annual seeds.
- Let spring flowering bulb (daffodil, tulip, etc.) foliage remain as long as possible before removing it.
- Add organic Redbud Compost to revitalize your soil nutrients while planting new plants.
- If you haven’t already, fertilize with Marcum’s 18-6-12, or one of our ferti-lome fertilizer mixes.
- Apply ferti-lome Systemic Insecticide Drench to trees and shrubs to keep insects away.
- Roses: Apply ferti-lome Rose & Flower Food with Systemic Insecticide once a month through our growing seasons.
- Apply ferti-lome’s Systemic Fungicide to prevent mildew and leaf spot diseases for roses, photinias, etc.
- Don’t prune spring flowering bushes until all blooming is complete.
- Over seed for fescue lawns. Ask a Marcum expert for more details.
- Fertilize warm-season grasses three to five times per season using one of Marcum’s (31-0-0, 28-6-12, or 18-6-12) special blends. We will help you select the best blend that suits your needs.
- Begin mowing warm-season lawns. Cutting height for bermuda and zoysia should be 1 – 1 1/2 inches high.
- Spray bermuda, fescue and zoysia with ferti-lome Weed Out when ground temps are warmer and above 75-80 degrees.
- Use ferti-lome Weed Free Zone when temps are still under 85 degrees. Weed Free Zone kills over 80 different hard to kill weeds, even poison ivy! Great to use on Henbit and other broad leaf weeds.
- Treat cedar-apple rust with fungicide as soon as the orange jelly galls are visible on junipers.
- Remove any winter-damaged branches or plants that have not begun to grow by late-April.
- Clean out water garden and prepare for season. Divide and re-pot water garden plants.
Note: Thanks to Oklahoma Coop Extension Service for providing some of the suggested maintenance guidelines.
For questions regarding April maintenance guidelines, please call Goldsby 405 288-2368, Oklahoma City 405 691-9100, Norman 405 447-3100 or Ardmore 580 223-1846.